Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Copyright and Creative Commons

I thought I knew all about copyright before Jason Hardin came into speak to us. As it turns out, not only did I not know about the many ways I could infringe on coprights I also had no idea what Creative Commons were! I had a lot to learn. In our modern day and age it is so easy to infringe on copyrights and to plagarise without intent. In order to help others out, I would like to share what I learned so that others are less likely to fall into a bad situation! First, copyright protection deals with creative works just like patents work for devvices. There are two key parts to copyrights: it allows me to control the distribution of my work and entitles me to profit from it. I used to wonder why people would even go to the trouble to copyright anything but copyright actually has an extremely important role in society. If every one was free to use, alter, or sell the work of others (work that potentially took a very long time) then no one would have the drive to create! Where would we be if no one created anything? A very dark age, indeed.
Creative Commons is a form of copyright but achieves a slightly different end. If I create something that I want to share, like an essay or a photograph, and I don't mind if others copy, share, or make money off of it, then I can put a Creative Commons license on my work. I am still the owner of my intellectual property, I am just willing to share it with the public to serve a greater good. There are also options that allow sharing but not profit. Although it seems like there are a lot of rules and a lot of ways to get into trouble, it's not that hard to stay away from problems with copyright. If you have any questions about whether something is legal or not, look up the terms of the copyright or just don't use it. Staying on the conservative side is an easy way to avoid legal issues and keep your internet experience stress-free! Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.

1 comment:

  1. I read your email and went back to look at your entry. I think Claire was right in her first analysis and I have to agree as I read over everyone's entries. You talked in general abut copyright, but you really didn't take an issue such as file sharing or fair use or derivative works. Let's talk about it in person if you like, but while there are some good comments on copyright, you really didn't take a stand and defend it. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete